ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ian Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2009 00:17:54 -0000

The most famous source for 'flow-tracing fluid' is the Kalliroscope
Corporation: http://www.kalliroscope.com/

For the exhibits I produce, I've started buying 'Pearl Swirl' from Steve
Spangler Science: http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/product/1218 who have
provided an excellent service.

Practical hints. Be aware that the particles settle quite quickly, leaving
you with a clear liquid. This is no problem for designs where the whole mass
of water is stirred up by being spun round. Also consider how your design
will deal with the inevitable air bubbles. A flat-topped enclosure may be
less problematic to make than a dome or sphere, and still looks pretty good.
If you do go for a dome, it doesn't need to be completely full of liquid.
Reduce the volume and weight by constructing another smaller dome inside.
The smaller you make this exhibit, the easier it is to manage, so don't
design it any bigger than necessary.

Promoting public engagement with science
through a contagious delight in phenomena
*
[log in to unmask] * http://www.interactives.co.uk
*
Give people facts and you feed their minds for an hour.
Awaken curiosity and they feed their own minds for a lifetime.
*
Ian Russell