ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Martin Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 2009 18:54:09 -0400

Dorethea

One of the difficulties of using standard microscopes in museum
exhibitions, at least in science centers, is there is
wear and tear which most commercial microscopes cannot with stand.

It seems you have several options and I don't think building a
microscope is one of them.
You might build an enclosure of plexiglass of Lexan that will give
access to the eye pieces and the stage controls.

You should talk with Bud Wentz (http://www.museumsusa.org/vendors/info/1259085
) who makes a bullet proof microscope but is not a stereo scope but he
might have some ideas. The problem is his design is very good as a
transmission microscope but does not let in enough light for your
purposes (unless he has some ideas for your purpose), is bulletproof
and easy to use. We have 'scopes in use since the 80's with no
troubles..

I am not sure what you want visitors to look at but hand lenses might
be appropriate. Very interactive and satisfactory.

And last you might use a video camera connected to a monitor. Less
interactive and satisfactory.

If you need more information or discussion let m know.

Martin

On Jun 24, 2009, at 6:18 PM, Dorothea Crosbie-Taylor wrote:

> Centers
> institutions.
>
> Hi,
>

> My name is Dorothea. I am with the Oakland Museum of California,
> working in
> the History Dept. We are currently undergoing a renovation of the
> History
> Gallery. My question is has anyone built stereoscopes for visitor
> use in an
> exhibition? We are looking at building our own here at OMCA and
> wondered
> what the difficulties might be? Does anyone have plans or diagrams
> that we
> could make use of? What might be the average cost of fabricating a
> stereoscope? Thank you in advance for your time and attention.
>

> Best regards,
>
> Dorothea Crosbie-Taylor
>
> Oakland Museum of California

> 510-238-3424

Martin Weiss, PhD
Science Interpretation Consultant
mweiss at nyscience dot org

Charlie and Kiwis Evolutionary Adventure
Learn how live on Earth evolved over time
Until August 30, 2009