ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Nora Nagle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2012 16:22:33 +0000

This may sound a bit random, but Boston College High School, a private school (grades 7-12) has gone almost paperless.  They REQUIRE all students to have an iPad.  Lessons and textbooks are distributed, and homework is turned in, corrected, and returned to the students electronically.  They do use an educational networking site, Edmodo, for teachers and students to discuss topics and ask questions.

This extends into the science classroom as well.  In preparation for labs, they will forward information and/or videos to the students on the subject of the day's lab.  The kids then come in, (presumably) prepared and jump right into the lab.  The instructions are on the iPad, as well as their texts.  They call this "flipping the classroom."

Not a typical situation, I know, but as a private school with a decent endowment, they are able to implement this technology ahead of public schools.

Nora Nagle

ADA and 504 Accessibility Coordinator

Museum of Science

One Science Park