ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Woody Sobey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2012 21:22:51 +0000

Julie,

There are many great demos about strength of materials, material selection, structures and design which are all engineering topics. One of our demos looks at materials to protect motorcycle riders from road rash. We used oranges to model skin and rough sandpaper for the roads then had volunteers try different materials to protect the orange. Our favorite was looking at the strength of composites. We would freeze sheets of ice about 12"x12"x1.5". This would be hit with a hammer (or better still, a swinging bowling ball) and shatter. The we would do it again with shredded paper mixed with the water before freezing. This time the hammer would bounce off the ice. It was fun and can easily be seen by large many visitors.

There are many other demos, but the main question would be, what type of engineering are you looking to cover. I'm happy to talk on the phone or off-list about demos I've done here and at Enginuity (a hands-on engineering center in England) if that would help. Good luck.

Cheers,

T. Woody Sobey

Education Director

Discovery Center of Idaho