ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Harry White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 2010 10:09:24 +0000

Techniquest has used a raised floor since 1995. I would strongly recommend it, but get the cheapest system you can.

The fancy computer floors aren't really appropriate for exhibits with services like compressed air and drainage etc. We use a Durabella D-lock30 system of 600mm squares which can support 31kg/sqm, if we need more we use a spreader plate. The panels are covered by carpet tiles. We take services in and out of exhibits via a 100mm steel tube with a welded flange. It works really well, giving flexibility of positioning,  rapid change and hiding all the distracting infrastructure.

I used a similar system in Vilvite, Bergen, Norway in 2006, although they couldn't get such a cheap flooring system. I believe that they are happy with it, they used it again for their extension.

If you need to know more drop me a line off-list,

--
Harry White, Science Centre Consultant
Techniquest, Stuart Street, Cardiff, UK. CF10 5BW

Techniquest is a Company Limited by Guarantee,
registered in England and Wales, no. 1955696
It is a registered charity, no. 517722