Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2012 13:16:14 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

Hi All,

I am putting together a session proposal for the Visitors Studies Association (VSA) conference (due end of December) relating to research I have done in AMNH's Museum Education and Employment Program (MEEP) on the power of "narratives," facilitated educational tours connecting museum exhibits and dioramas through thematic storytelling, given by young adults in an inquiry-infused model.  The goal is to demonstrate the importance of using such narratives in educational contexts, and how they change based on the interests, prior knowledge, observations and questions of tour/program participants.  Going further, it is sure to advance our understanding about the value of having well trained facilitators and instructors engaging visitors in conversations about science that stem from the visitors'/participants' prior knowledge and interests.

I am looking for people with programs that integrate a similar methods that would be interested in making this a panelsession.  If you run such a program, or know someone who does, please email me so we can discuss the possibilities of collaborating in a proposalfor VSA and/or other conferences.

Cheers,
Alix Cotumaccio
Assistant Director, Youth Initiatives
American Museum of Natural History
Central Park West at 79th Street
New York, NY  10024
(p) 212.496.3313
(f) 212.313.7868

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2