ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Alix Cotumaccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2012 13:16:14 +0000

Hi All,

I am putting together a session proposal for the Visitors Studies Association (VSA) conference (due end of December) relating to research I have done in AMNH's Museum Education and Employment Program (MEEP) on the power of "narratives," facilitated educational tours connecting museum exhibits and dioramas through thematic storytelling, given by young adults in an inquiry-infused model.  The goal is to demonstrate the importance of using such narratives in educational contexts, and how they change based on the interests, prior knowledge, observations and questions of tour/program participants.  Going further, it is sure to advance our understanding about the value of having well trained facilitators and instructors engaging visitors in conversations about science that stem from the visitors'/participants' prior knowledge and interests.

I am looking for people with programs that integrate a similar methods that would be interested in making this a panelsession.  If you run such a program, or know someone who does, please email me so we can discuss the possibilities of collaborating in a proposalfor VSA and/or other conferences.

Cheers,
Alix Cotumaccio
Assistant Director, Youth Initiatives
American Museum of Natural History