ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Martin Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Nov 2012 08:53:18 -0500

Dennis

I have no specific experience with retired scientists but I have worked
extensively with scientists on most of my projects. And I qualify as I had
to deal with my own desires as a scientist when I "retired" from science
and entered museum work.

There is an interesting question of how to work with scientists in
developing exhibitions and programs.

I would not "bait the hook" as exhibition development but helping us get
information to the public; not promising that they wold be directly
involved in exhibition development. In my experience the scientists I have
worked with do/did not have special  insights into exhibition development
but most are enthusiastic about providing what they know to the public
especially on "issues". Working with scientists and engineers is work.
 When I "retired" from research for museum work I was very enthusiastic
about what I wanted visitors to know (everything I knew!) and it took me a
while, with mentoring, to understand how to craft what I knew into
exhibition development and to help scientists on my projects understand how
to help me do this; through research and evaluation.

Martin

--
Martin Weiss, PhD
mweiss at nyscience.org
cell   347-460-1858
desk 718 595 9156

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This message is intended solely for the addressee(s) in the first instance
and may contain confidential information.  Please do not forward this email
without the consent of the sender.