Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Nov 2012 13:42:53 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (81 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

…and of course, we KNOW that the female body has a way of shutting down a rape-result pregnancy…!

Let's not forget about the very direct on-the-streets economic implications of THAT brilliant lack of biological knowledge.

Beryl

On Nov 20, 2012, at 10:12 PM, Eric Siegel wrote:

ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

ps.  an acquaintance of mine told me that global warming is happening because the earth is moving closer to the sun.  after i picked my jaw up off the ground, I weighed the benefits of schooling her with the futility of the attempt.  I tried to explain what we know about the physics of the solar system since newton.

e
On Nov 20, 2012, at 10:06 PM, Eric Siegel <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

Len, I am sympathetic with the argument are making because it represents an effort to give the benefit of the doubt to those who deny science.  And yes, you don't "know" that the earth is 4.5 billion years old anymore than you "know" that quantum mechanics is the most accurate description how the world works at the atomic level that man has ever generated.  Almost all meaningful science nowadays takes place outside the realm of experience...cosmology, molecular biology, nano engineering, network science,  geology, particle physics...You take the word of experts.  So at some level, it is fair to say that they choose their experts to believe, and we choose ours.  The difference is that predictions generated from a religious world view are fundamentally useless as predictions (they work better ex post facto...god meant that storm to strike down homosexuals in New York), whereas predictions generated from a scientific world view are validated by their ability to predict outcomes accurately.

So, if you are not concerned about their effectiveness at predicting outcomes, then yes, I agree the religious and the scientific world view require us to accept the word of experts.  If you want your radio to work, or your gps, or your bicycle to be lighter, or understand the likelihood of a storms direction, or you want to find oil or diamonds, or gold, then the scientific world view is proven again and again.

The fact that this is how rubio tries to walk a political tightrope suggests the absurdity of the political nature of religion in the early 21st century.  This bizarre conflation of fundamentalism and political conservatism is poisonous to both scientific and religious thinkers.

Eric Siegel

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This message is intended solely for the addressee(s) in the first instance
and may contain confidential information.  Please do not forward this email
without the consent of the sender.

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org<http://www.astc.org>.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org<http://www.exhibitfiles.org>.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Beryl Rosenthal, PhD
Executive Director, Waterworks Museum
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
2450 Beacon St., Boston, MA 02467

Please visit our website:
www.waterworksmuseum.org

Follow us on Facebook: (www.facebook.com/waterworksmuseum)

Tweet on Twitter:
(http://bit.ly/fwZOVG)!

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2