ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Eric Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2006 17:13:37 -0400

http://images.google.com/images?q=scientist&hl=en&btnG=Search+Images

I don't know how they weight images, so I'm not sure if the first
images are the most popular as far as linking or what.  But, here it
is 193,000 images of a scientist.  The top ones are pretty diverse,
from women to white guys to cartoons to einstein to "one of Reggae's
most famous engineers."

Eric Siegel
New York Hall of Science
(718) 699-0005 x 317

On Jul 16, 2006, at 4:45 PM, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> [...]
>> institutions.
>> ********
>>
>> Re: depicting science:
>>
>> If you haven't done this exercise before, you might enjoy trying this
>> activity before reading on:
>> http://www.the-aps.org/education/2006rts/pdf/
>> Draw_a_Scientist_handout.pdf
>> (Or simply imagine and draw a picture of a scientist doing science.)
>>

>> This is the classic "Draw-A-Scientist-Test" (DAST), originally
>> developed by
>> anthropologists Margaret Mead and Rhoda Metraux in 1957.  It's
>> been widely
>> used since then to track public perceptions of scientists over
>> time, and
>> across different ages, ethnicities and nationalities.  The consistent
>> finding is that people asked to "Draw a picture of a scientist doing
>> science" typically produce stereotyped drawings of a socially
>> awkward,
>> bearded old white man in a lab coat, with accessories such as
>> beakers and
>> equation-covered chalkboards.  (Picture the scientists in Gary
>> Larson's Far
>> Side.)   But it's a matter of debate how much that stereotype really
>> affects public perception of science, or the likelihood of
>> choosing science
>> as a career.
>>
>> I'd be interested to hear if anyone has used the DAST as an
>> activity in a
>> science center.
>>
>> The test linked above comes from the website of the American
>> Physiological
>> Society, which also offers this scoresheet:
>> http://www.the-aps.org/education/2006rts/pdf/DASTRatingRubric.pdf
>>
>> There was an interesting discussion of DAST and other measures of
>> public
>> perception of scientists in the NSF's Science and Engineering
>> Indicators
>> 2002
>> (http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/seind02/c7/c7s3.htm>http://
>> www.nsf.gov/statistics/seind02/c7/c7s3.htm).
>>
>> Oddly and peculiarly yours,
>> Richard

>> Richard O. Brown, PhD
>> Staff Neuroscientist / Exhibit and Project Developer
>> The Exploratorium
>> 3601 Lyon Street
>> San Francisco, CA 94123-1099
>>
>> (415) 353-0483
>>

>> At 04:24 PM 7/12/2006, you wrote:
>>
>>> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology
>>> Centers
>>> Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related
>>> institutions.
>>> *********
>>>
>>> It turns out (surprise!) we're not the only ones grappling with
>>> how to
>>> depict science. This blog entry and its replies offer some
>>> scientists'
>>> opinions on the issue. Here's a hint: enough with the photos of

>>> memo_to_the_public_relat