ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ian Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 2009 16:26:50 -0000

I'm not sure I agree that science centres should be thinking in terms of
teaching grandparents how to interact with children! I have to say I've
often been deeply impressed by what I've observed of the triangular
interaction between child, exhibit and grandparent.

I am totally 100% convinced that so-called science centre 'explainers' have
a huge amount to LEARN from grandparents.

Grandparents know how to be supportive, how to listen, how to praise and how
to encourage. They know how to frame the slightly dopey-sounding questions
that stimulates thoughtful dialogue and exploratory engagement with the
exhibit.

They know how to empower the child to feel clever and important. They don't
constantly emphasise their own superior knowledge or browbeat the child with
a crushing stream of 'explainations' and factoids. Above all, they show a
willingness to LEARN ALONGSIDE the child.

Don't try to teach your grandmother how to suck eggs. She's probably not
aware of it, but she's already a brilliantly effective teacher.

So communicate THAT message! And train your 'explainers' to do less
'explaining' and more empowering.

Promoting public engagement with science
through a contagious delight in phenomena
*
[log in to unmask] * http://www.interactives.co.uk
*
Give people facts and you feed their minds for an hour.
Awaken curiosity and they feed their own minds for a lifetime.
*
Ian Russell