ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Feb 2004 09:15:49 -0800

Unpredictability is part of the nature of Van de Graff's.

It doesn't take much for them to stop working or to
perform really poorly.  Two things are particularly bad
for building a charge... any moisture in the air and the
charge will bleed off into the air very quickly... and any
tarnish or dirt on the ball and it won't hold a charge.

Depending on what your ball is made of (probably
spun aluminum) you could try cleaning it with an
alcohol pad (inside and out) before you run it.  Clean
the belt too...

Good luck...

Dave Taylor