ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Fisher, Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 08:50:46 -0500

Heeeyyyyyy! Not funny!?! I wrote that article... although I didn't write all of the jokes.

Seriously though, by today's standards the humor might not be that funny. The humor was "of the time" from the late 80's, early 90's. There has been a bit of research which shows that humor will vary over time because it will relate to society/issues/politics/media of that particular time. An example that I like to use to help support this is the book Gulliver's Travels. These days, it's more of a fun, entertaining, children's story. When I was in Ireland last year, I learned that at the time it was written, it was a MAJOR slam against the establishment.

An another note, you make a good point about the audience being able to use the extra time to absorb the material, and therefore score higher on the test. However, the amount of blanked-out time was pretty insignificant, the overall length of the show was still the same, and the amount of time before the tests were given was kept standard, so I'm not sure that was the reason for the difference in scores between the "humor" groups and the "non humor" groups. If I ever had the time (yeah, right), it would be fun to research that angle a little further.

Thanks for the feedback!

Martin S. Fisher
Director of Education
Nauticus, the National Maritime Center
One Waterside Drive
Norfolk, VA  23510
36°50'51"N   76°17'53"W   13 ft.
phone: (757) 664-1003, (800) 664-1080 ext. 41003
fax: (757) 623-1287    cell (757) 617-7080
[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>        www.nauticus.org <http://www.nauticus.org>