ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kathryn Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 2011 17:13:54 +0000

Hi Lindzy,

I'd second what others have noted about the challenges of short-term interventions (like a visit to an exhibit or participation in a one-time  event) when it comes to encouraging lasting behavior change.  But there are examples of efforts that have had some success at this.  We've been tracking the long-term impact of conservation action initiatives at Woodland Park Zoo for some time; one example if posted on www.informalscience.org<http://www.informalscience.org> (found in the report on the Maasai Journey program); you'll find some other examples at that site if you look through some of the summative evaluations of conservation-focused projects.  I've got other examples from both program & exhibit evaluations we've conducted that I can send you if interested.

Given the challenges of shifting behavior through brief interventions, front-end research is critical to success, in my experience.  That is, exploring your audience's perceived barriers & benefits to the action you're targeting.  We've found this kind of front-end research to be key in designing effective campaigns.  I just came across a fun example...check out Zoo Victoria's work addressing visitors' perceptions of recycled toilet tissue.

http://www.futerra.co.uk/blog/crap-man-and-wiping-for-wildlife

Cheers,
Kathryn

Kathryn Owen
Education Research Supervisor
Woodland Park Zoo
601 N. 59th St.
Seattle, WA  98103-5858
(206) 548-2566

Woodland Park Zoo saves animals and their habitats through conservation leadership and engaging experiences, inspiring people to learn, care and act.