Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 2011 17:13:54 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (50 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

Hi Lindzy,

I'd second what others have noted about the challenges of short-term interventions (like a visit to an exhibit or participation in a one-time  event) when it comes to encouraging lasting behavior change.  But there are examples of efforts that have had some success at this.  We've been tracking the long-term impact of conservation action initiatives at Woodland Park Zoo for some time; one example if posted on www.informalscience.org<http://www.informalscience.org> (found in the report on the Maasai Journey program); you'll find some other examples at that site if you look through some of the summative evaluations of conservation-focused projects.  I've got other examples from both program & exhibit evaluations we've conducted that I can send you if interested.

Given the challenges of shifting behavior through brief interventions, front-end research is critical to success, in my experience.  That is, exploring your audience's perceived barriers & benefits to the action you're targeting.  We've found this kind of front-end research to be key in designing effective campaigns.  I just came across a fun example...check out Zoo Victoria's work addressing visitors' perceptions of recycled toilet tissue.

http://www.futerra.co.uk/blog/crap-man-and-wiping-for-wildlife

Cheers,
Kathryn

Kathryn Owen
Education Research Supervisor
Woodland Park Zoo
601 N. 59th St.
Seattle, WA  98103-5858
(206) 548-2566
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Woodland Park Zoo saves animals and their habitats through conservation leadership and engaging experiences, inspiring people to learn, care and act.

Sent: Monday, November 21, 2011 9:00 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: ISEN-ASTC-L Digest - 20 Nov 2011 to 21 Nov 2011 (#2011-252)

<< Message: ISEN-ASTC-L Digest - 20 Nov 2011 to 21 Nov 2011 (#2011-252) >>  << Message: Re: [OT] Making a paper ruler to measure the number of lines on a page >>  << Message: Re: ASTC 2012 Session on Home-schoolers? >>  << Message: Re: Pro-Environmental Behavior Change >>  << Message: Re: Pro-Environmental Behavior Change >>  << Message: Re: Pro-Environmental Behavior Change >>  << Message: Re: Pro-Environmental Behavior Change >>  << Message: HASTAC Announces New Teacher Mastery and Feedback Badge Competition >>  << Message: Re: Pro-Environmental Behavior Change >>  << Message: FYI> biochem toy on kickstarter >>

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2