ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Richard O. Brown" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Oct 2005 18:19:57 -0700

I'll take a hack at this.  I thought it would be easy to just look up the
luminous efficacy (lumens per watt, lm/W) of a candle, but I couldn't find
it in my usual references.  The closest thing I found, in the IES Lighting
Handbook, was that an acetylene torch flame produces 0.2 lm/W.

Just for an estimate, a candle puts out ~ 10 lumens, and probably burns at
50-100 Watts, giving ~ 0.1-0.2 lm/W.  But a candle flame is optimized for
producing light, so I'd guess even a roaring campfire produces somewhat
less than 0.1 lm/W, and much less as it cools.

For comparison, incandescent bulbs produce 10-20 lm/W, and fluorescent
tubes and the latest LEDs achieve 50-100 lm/W. Low pressure sodium lights
are the efficiency winners,  producing 200 lm/W.

The theoretical maximum luminous efficacy obtainable would be 683 lm/W,
with a monochromatic light of 555 nm wavelength (a greenish yellow).  For
broad spectrum white light, the theoretical limit is about 220 lm/W
(because wavelengths other than 555 nm are less efficient for human vision
- note that SI photometric units are the only SI units that incorporate
human biology).

-Richard