ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Frank Kusiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2012 12:03:20 -0800

I'll be writing an article about this on 21-tech.org, but if you're brave
enough to update to iOS6 (it's not like floor staff will be using the Maps
app on it!), then what you do is enable "Guided Access" and it's free!  It
disables the Home  and power buttons, and you can disable specific parts of
the screen (like a search box or a button that takes a user out of the
app).  A great tool for teachers, docents, and kiosks.

Here's how you do it:

   1. Open the Settings app, tap General and then tap Accessibility.
   2. Tap Guided Access and move the slider to the On position.
   3. Set a passcode that will be required to disable Guided Access (more
   on that later). Exit the Settings app.
   4. Once you’re in an app, triple-click the Home button.
   5. The Guided Access options screen appears (above).
   6. Here you’ve got several options. Simply draw a circle around the
   button or element you want disabled. In the image below, I disabled the
   library button and the share button in a book.
   7. Click Start. The settings screen recedes and the altered app runs.
   8. [My addition: Frank] To exit Guided Access, triple click on the Home
   button and enter the passcode.

Source:
http://52tiger.net/guided-access-for-iphone-and-ipad-will-benefit-teachers-and-parents/
More info: