ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
martin weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Mar 2005 12:07:08 -0500

	Very interesting thread and the suggestion of personal action
interests me enormously.

	There IS an opportunity for institution to take action on
evolution (see posting An Opportunity). Maybe the thread, and the
companion thread on religion, is too engaging for your to have
noticed my offer and request. But few have responded. I really do
look forward to hearing form some of you at least. I am appending it
below.

Martin

An Opportunity

We are preparing a proposal to NSF ISE and would like to form an
advisory committee of science centers/children's museum/natural
history museums who have an interest in natural sciences. This
research project will be  focused on children 6 - 12 years of age. It
will be based upon a body of cognitive and developmental research
that suggest that activities can be developed for children to prepare
them to learn and understand the science principles of evolution. The
role of the committee will be to review materials, offer advice based
upon experience, help develop strategies for enlisting community
support for the exhibition (in case that proves to be a difficulty
for any venue), and be a potential venue for one of the deliverables
of the project; a traveling exhibition. I am particularly looking for
museums that  may have difficulty hosting the project because of
community issues. This project has the potential to be generalizable
to how programs can be developed to foster children's understanding
of any complex science based upon an understanding of cognitive
development. In this case the complex science will be evolution
principles.

	Please contact me off line ([log in to unmask]) for more
information.  I will require an affirmation of institutional interest
and approval for your involvement. I am particularly interested in
how being involved in this project will further your institutions
program goals. There will be a requirement for attendance at one
meeting per year for the three year project, if funded. Funds for
travel to either an annual ASTC or ACM meeting for the project
meeting will be available.

--
Martin Weiss, Ph.D
Vice President, Science