ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Joseph O'Connell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jun 2009 12:58:02 -0700

What don't you like about the plastic material? In our experience it
has the following advantages (and disadvantages):

1) It is less dense than gravel or sand, so features form in less
space with lower flow rates (this is good).
2) It discourages the growth of microorganisms because it is inorganic
3) the mix of different colors often follows a mix of different
densities. Interesting features occur as slightly different densities
settle out at different places in flood plains and along bends in rivers
4) less abrasive than sand or gravel - an important consideration
because small amounts of it work their way into nearby exhibits

The only disadvantage that I know of are:

1) more expensive than sand, gravel, walnut shells, etc.
2) colors are not naturalistic.

On Jun 15, 2009, at 5:08 AM, Robert Schmitt wrote:

> Centers
> institutions.
>
> Hello all,
>
> Our stream table came with a plastic sand-like media that we aren't
> satisfied with. What sands have you used in your stream tables to
> greater success?
> Has anyone used Ward's sand-gravel mix, with various sediments, and
> has it been successful?

> For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers
> and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.
>
> Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org
> .
>
> The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-
> Soft. To learn more, visit

Joe O'Connell
Creative Machines Inc.
3113 East Columbia Street
Tucson, AZ 85714
(520) 294-0939
(800) 861-7937 toll-free in North America
(520) 294-0848 fax

We create objects and environments that encourage
creativity, support social interaction, and inspire self-confidence.

http://www.creativemachines.com
http://www.ballmachinesculptures.com