ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carey Tisdal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 15:18:36 -0600

Just to add to this discussion, here are some ideas form the evaluation
perspective--

 One reason we don't have a strong, coherent body of findings related to
 informal learning experiences is that we have not made explicit connections
 between the program theory (how it's supposed to work) and activities (what
 we do to make it work) and student outcomes. Especially with grant-funded
 programs, funders want that one specific program to be a model for others
 use. Sometimes we write grants we don't take that seriously by asking for
 and including the time, resources and types of expertise to make that
 happen. In experimental design research studies the researcher designs the
 "treatment" to test a hypothesis. In program development/evaluation,
 that "treatment" is the program itself, and the evaluator is assessing
 someone else's hypothesis. It isn't appropriate for evaluators to walk too
 far across that line.  But we can collaborate and help develop processes
 that allow that. It's a joint effort and those of us in evaluation can help
 by moving the question from "Did it work?" to "What made it work and to
what
 extent?"   I know IMLS has been doing logic modeling workshops, and that is
 a step in the right direction. Another great resource for how to do this
is:

 W. S. Kellogg Foundation. (2001). Logic model development guide, [PDF].
W.K.
 Kellogg Foundation. http://www.wkkf.org/Pubs/Tools/Evaluation/Pub3669.pdf

 Moving towards some explicit and shared program development/evaluation
 models, similar to the exhibit development models we have shared with each
 other over the past 15 years, would move us far ahead in making informal
 learning experiences more accessible to kids in schools. This would enable
 us to affect public policy.

 Here is how, I think, that might look were we to do it:

 Build in a six month to eight months start-up BEFORE the program is offered
 to students. This time would allow program developers to work with
 evaluators producing specific logic models, conducting front-end
evaluation,
 writing detailed curriculum, and testing activities. It would also allow
 time to hire staff. No organization can afford to take these steps without
 firm funding source, and we are all constantly caught in the timing of
 funding and trying to get things organized. We understand the necessity of
 this phase in exhibit development--we need it in program development, too.

 Also include in that start-up some team-building and instructional design
 training so that the whole team understands the benefits of documenting
 program activities throughout the process. I understand that sometimes
program staff feel these activities are "taking  away time from the kids."
But, not doing these activities may be taking away access to these types of
learning experiences for a whole lot of kids when we don't have findings
strongly connected to program theory and specific
 activities.

 Well, there's my dream world. :-) I think most of us work in informal
 learning organizations because we see it as the place where the joy and
 satisfaction of learning is valued as an integral part of any kind of
 effective learning. But, we need to include explicit program
 design and documentation efforts that allows to test our belief in
 systematic ways--and be credible to public policy makes, funders, parents,
 and all the other people who aren't there everyday in the situation.

 Carey

 Carey Tisdal
 Tisdal Consulting--Museum Research and Evaluation
  Email: [log in to unmask]