HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
basedowm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 09:21:27 -0400
Dear Robert and April,

April, your understanding regarding articulation is correct. I also wanted to
say that your carnivore kill hypothesis remains a reasonable possibility and
one that cannot be completely discounted. I still have never seen one quite
like this though - lacking even cervical vertebrae? As to Robert's tossing of
a culinary animal under the door:

1) This is a very young animal - not a lot of meat on its bones recommending
it for human consumption

2) It was found in a small rounded pit next to a likely door posthole - hard
to see this as a "convenient hold". Other animal remains (these for the most
part with butchering and/or gnaw marks) from the cabin site were found strewn
throughout the midden areas beneath and around the building - none in small
self-contained pits and none resembling the racoon situation otherwise.

Maureen