HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Pat Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2000 23:12:33 +0100
A long time ago Ned Heite wrote:

1. What other areas of the world, besides Delaware and Iceland, have a
tradition of benches by the doorways?

2. Has anyone archaeologically identified any activity areas associated
with
front doors that might suggest household activities moved outdoors in
fine
weather?

3. Is there any literature on the subject?

                ____

I observed a large number of settles or benches on stoops when I drove
around New York, looking at 'Dutch' buildings.  There is, I think, some
literature on 'stoop culture' (although I cannot recall where I've read
it, at the moment!).

The benches sometimes ran along the walls, sometimes projected out to
the steps.

I have been looking through my books on South Africa, and not spotted
any built-in benches, but it is remarkable how often the main doorway,
onto the stoep, is flanked by a pair of benches with metal frames and
wooden slats.  They are always removed for the painted illustrations!

However, despite the Dutch word (stoop) for this area of a house, I
don't recall seeing this construction in the Low Countries (although
movable, form benches, I have seen, sometimes, by farmhouse doors).

Not archaeological evidence, but there is photographic and oral history
evidence from the Buckinghamshire lace industry that it was done outside
during fine weather.  And in my own childhood (1960s, suburban
Northamptonshire, England), I remember 'helping' my mother and
grandmother prepare fruit and vegetables outside.

I also recall reading, somewhere, about the use of the porch area in
slave's houses in the southern states.

Best wishes to all,
--
Pat Reynolds