HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Rex H. McTyeire" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 19:14:53 +0200
Dr Robert V. J. P. Varman  asked:
> >Does anyone know who Jenny Lind was? The name rings loud bells but....
> >A very mid-Victorian type portrait (black transferware) with the name
> >(Jen)ny Lind printed over it

Trish Fernandez responded:
> She was an opera singer from Sweden who lived from 1820 to 1887.  Debuted
in
> Germany in 1844, England in 1847, in US courtesy of PT Barnum in 1850.
> There was a gold rush town in the Sierra Nevada named after her.

My Trusty Encarta 2000 CD agrees with  Trish except for the debut
date/location. She had something of a cult following in the frontier states,
and may have been the first "pin-up" girl celebrity. I think you have a
collectors item.

Lind, Jenny (1820-1887), Swedish soprano singer, popularly known as the
Swedish Nightingale. She was born Johanna Maria Lind in Stockholm. In 1838
she made her singing debut, performing at the Stockholm Opera in the leading
role soprano, Agathe, in Der Freischütz, an opera written in 1821 by German
composer Carl Maria von Weber. As a result of this performance Lind achieved
immediate success. After an extensive tour of Europe, she toured the United
States from 1850 to 1852. Managed by American showman P. T. Barnum, this
tour marked the height of her success.

In 1852 Lind married Otto Goldschmidt, who conducted the Bach Choir in
London. After her return to Europe, she lived for a few years in Dresden,
Germany, and afterward settled in London, becoming a British citizen in
1859.

La Revedere;
Rex H. McTyeire
Bucharest, Romania