HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mark Branstner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2006 13:04:55 -0500
Rob,

I know its a day late and a dollar short, but the better question
might be:  "Why did you bring it out of the field in the first
place?"   If you had left it on site, there would be no disposal
problem ...  Count it, weigh it, pitch it.  And now that its back in
the lab, "What is the purpose of curating this material?"  Frankly,
now that its back in the lab, "count it, weigh it, and pitch it"
would still be my advice.

Which raises a bigger question (at least in my mind) ...  Has there
been any recent discussion on HISTARCH or elsewhere relative to the
curation/non-curation of historic archaeological materials?  I guess
I am most concerned about the high-volume, but (potentially) less
significant artifacts (e.g., nails, bricks, unidentifiable ferrous
lumps, window glass, twentieth century bottle glass, etc.).

Anybody like to talk about these as curation policies or issues, or
point me towards such a discussion?

--

Mark C. Branstner
Historic Archaeologist

Illinois Transportation
Archaeological Research Program
209 Nuclear Physics Lab, MC-571
23 East Stadium Drive
Champaign, IL 61820

Phone: 217.244.0892
Fax: 217.244.7458
Cell: 517.927.4556

"There is also an artificial aristocracy founded on wealth and birth,
without either virtue or talents ... The artificial aristocracy is a
mischievous ingredient in government, and provisions should be made to
prevent its ascendancy."

- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)