HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
MORGAN A RIEDER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2006 23:59:37 -0700
In New Mexico, we spell it with an "s" rather than a" z."  I soak about a cup and half of nixtamal overnight in about five cups of water (I've never actually measured any of this--you just learn the right proportions by eye), then in the morning add about a quarter pound of salt pork.  My wife prefers a lean pound of pork; either way, you'll get the pork flavor and as Ms. Snow pointed out this is post-Conquest cooking, anyway.  If you've got a ristra, throw in a handful of dried chiles.   Let it simmer all day (back when we only had a wood stove, this was a seasonal dish but with electricity and a crock pot you can do it any time).  If you haven't used whole dried chiles, then do what I prefer: take about about a half-cup or so of chile molido (my favorite is chile dulce from Chimayó), mix it with the juice and stir it in to the olla or crock pot or whatever you're using, then simmer a bit more.  Serve with corn or (post-Conquest) flour tortillas.

And what about menudo (breakfast of champions)?

Morgan Rieder, RPA