HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sat, 20 Aug 2011 08:46:05 -0400
To use the phrase one must qualify it to refer to century.

The other usage would be in terms of cultural change and awareness - at
times the "turn of the century" was used to reflect mindset. A feeling of
cultural change, of the essence of a period. So....it is useful to define
such a cultural configuration if that configuration is defined.

if not used with qualification the phrase is as useful as "sherd count"
which is to say useless and using "sherd count" as an end in itself other
than accounting practice even more useless but I digress....

Conrad