HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Nancy O'Malley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 1996 12:03:29 -0700
I am looking for a few references on historic diet after the Civil War
particularly with respect to consumption of tomatoes, and use of weedy
species like purslane, chenopod, amaranth, etc.  Have there been any
good recent syntheses of floral analyses of historic sites?  I am trying
to put in context some species identified from an African-American urban
household.  They were eating a lot of fruit (in the form of berries, mostly),
and I am presuming that much of that was in the form of jams, jellies and
preserves.  But my earliest privy has quite a bit of tomato seeds which
I understand from talking to various folks are supposed to be late (like
post 1885).  Incidentally, this site is in Lexington, Kentucky so Upper
South emphasis would be helpful.  Thanks.