HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Tim Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2006 19:03:08 -0400
Come now, 'facts'? take about three weeks and wade through the 30+ years of
agonizing about Hypothetico-deductive models and epistemology in Ameriican
Archaeological Journals. But don't get sloughed off into the 'post-modern'
fallacy of thinking that 'truth' is only what I'm thinking at the moment. We
have an obligation to interpret data points, and if we have been responsible
in collecting them, someone else can come along and re-interpret them, even
if they weren't the data points that their (future) research designs would
dictate. Data are not 'facts' -- they're not even always 'artifacts' or
context, so lets not muddy the waters re-inventing the wheel

Tim T.
Epistemological pedant