HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 11:44:12 -0400
In a message dated 10/23/2000 11:40:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Generally they are made of any piece of transferware but in
 one case a scene of an Oriental man was deliberately selected.  >>

Back in my graduate years, I worked with with some large scale unprovenienced
ceramic collections from the Caribbean, and the ground down transferprint
"gaming pieces" were quite common.  No idea what the game might be.  Bye the
bye, how would you determine if the above described piece was "deliberately
selected" vs. randomly generated.  Now, maybe if you found a whole set with a
repeated motif ...

Mark Branstner