HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Pbmorgan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:22:44 -0700
A saw grip on a pistol has a small projection on the stock which comes back
over the web of the shooters hand to increase stability of the gun under
recoil.  It is commonly found on percussion and flint dueling and target
pistols and on some later target guns.  It has the effect of increasing felt
recoil (because the gun can not slip in the hand) but does increase control.
It gets the name from a similar projection which is found on the wooden
handle's of hand saws.

Morgan Blanchard
University of Nevada, Reno
Research Associate for the Nevada State Museum on Arms and Munitions.

Great Basin Internet Services Webmail (http://greatbasin.net)