HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Cathy Spude <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 08:41:40 -0600
This is all great stuff, Bill. I'm sure we're all looking forward to your

piece in Historical Archaeology, especially those of us who work on early

20th century sites.

I'd worry a little about your modern chemist being surprised that selenium

caused glass to solarize to amber back in the early twentieth century. Like

you observe, he probably wasn't familiar with the combinations with other

chemicals, or with the long-term effects of sunlight on the glass. But it

is an interesting observation, nonetheless. I've personally ignored the

"straw-colored" glass talk among the collectors, largely because I couldn't

figure out what they were talking about and couldn't find much of it in my

assemblages anyway.

All of this helps with my saloon report.  Thank you!

Cathy

Catherine Holder Spude ¨ Archeologist ¨ Cultural Resources Management ¨

National Park Service – Intermountain Region ¨ 505.988.6831Voice ¨

505.988.6876 Fax

 The National Park Service cares for special places saved by the American

              people so that all may experience our heritage.

                      LOCKHART BILL

                      <[log in to unmask]        To:       [log in to unmask]

                      MSU.EDU>                 cc:       (bcc: Cathy Spude/SANTAFE/NPS)

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: manganese clarified glass date

                      HISTORICAL

                      ARCHAEOLOGY

                      09/22/2004 05:05

                      PM MST

                      Please respond to

                      HISTORICAL

                      ARCHAEOLOGY

{ SEQ CHAPTER \h \r 1}I hope to do a follow-up article on selenium and

arsenic as decolorants.  The

earliest reference I have found for selenium as a decolorant in the US is

1895.

Selenium is still used as a decolorant in the US.  It is not the culprit

for the

solarized amber glass (often called “straw-colored glass” in collectors’

literature).  I have two chemistry articles that show through experiments

that

more than one chemical combination can create the effect, but key

ingredient

is arsenic – not selenium.  When I spoke to a chemist at a bottle

manufacturer

about nine years ago, he was completely surprised at the idea that selenium

would affect glass color.

As to time, the collectors are probably correct, although on report stated

that a

bottle from (if my memory is correct) about the 1950s was solarized amber.

can’t completely support this yet, but the use of selenium and arsenic in

combination was used by some companies, apparently in response to the

wartime pressure and the change from mouth-blown to machine production,

beginning about 1915 or so.  By about 1930, most had caught on the color

change (or found better formulae – don’t know which yet), and the “straw-

colored-glass” era was generally over.

Bill