HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Sue Renaud <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 15:46:44 -0400
I have received permission to share with you some background information from
Cary Tyson, CLG Coordinator for the Arkansas SHPO on the "Little Rock Historic
District Arrest."  His message is copied below.

Sue Henry Renaud

Cary Tyson wrote:

There is much more information about this case than has been reported in that
newspaper article and on our local television news.  I won't comment fully until
after Wednesday and her appearance before a judge, but I will mention a few
things not reported in our local newspapers.

The Historic District Commission (HDC) Coordinator advised me that she has been
trying to work with and has been communicating with this individual for over six
months.  The resident was informed from the outset that with her application for
a Certificate of Appropriateness (COA) to alter her windows she would have to
remove her "burglar bars" as they do not comply with design guidelines of this
Historic District.

She agreed to this condition and also agreed to replace her windows with
historically appropriate windows.  She then proceeded to replace with
something other than she agreed to do when receiving a COA.  The position of the
commission is that she violated the agreement she had made.  She also declined
to remove her "burglar bars" as she promised.  Violation #2.

Let me also mention that removal of inappropriate items is only dealt with when
an applicant request to alter a exterior aspect of their home.  That is, when
the want to replace windows they need to be "historically appropriate".  The
commission does not go door-to-door telling people what is wrong with their
exterior, rather they ensure that when the exterior is altered it is done in
compliance with design guidelines every resident is provide upon purchasing
their home.  So each resident knows of the restrictions of living in a Historic
District.  They go into this with their eyes wide open, or at least they are
provided with the proper
information and their Realtor is instructed to advise them of said
restrictions.

The commission has been trying to work with her to resolve this problem for as I
said, over six months.  She has refused to live up to the law and her agreement.
 Therefore, the only resolution the coordinator felt she had was to issue a
summons.  Her court appearance is tomorrow.

As I understand it, she was advised by a code official of the outstanding
summons and was requested to "come down and work it out".   She did not and when
she showed up at the HDC meeting to speak on an issue other than the one we are
discussing, she was taken to the police department and issued a summons to
appear in court Wednesday.  The story appears as if she were jailed with a
variety of unsavory scallywags.

To answer the three questions:

1. Are these actions really needed?

Again, after six months of attempted resolution the commission felt this was the
only option left.

2. Is the neighbor out of line?

I have an opinion on this, but with the additional information I will let you
form your own.

3. Is the commission overstepping it's bounds?

Again, they have this authority which they have never used in over 18 years.
The punishment for violating the ordinance is a $10 - $500 fine a
day, for as long as the violation occurs, so unless she has a large amount
of outstanding fines, as I understand it, she will not serve time behind
bars.

Let me just say that I am amazed at the amount of coverage this story has
gotten.  The article in our local paper for the most point covered both sides,
but I have learned that there is always much more to the story than you read.
And that is definitely the case here.

I will be observing the case Wednesday and will report back to you. It will be
interesting for all of us "CLGers" to witness enforcement take its final steps
and see what the court decides.

Sorry so long winded, but you asked.  I'll keep you informed.

Cary