Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 2004 17:14:31 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (10 lines)
Interesting side note here that has some in NYC archaeology scratching their heads. The first medical inspector or health officer in the new republic was named after an "Outhouse" a Dutch name I also share in my Canadian kin family tree on Grand Manan Island, New Brunswick. He instituted the filling of cesspits and recognized some of the health threats of unregulated sewage. Later citizens and their own commission caused instituted zoning changes (moving for example for the third or fourth time, hide processing out of the general public) despite government structure.

In the days of the American Revolution, Loyalists left the NYC area for land granted in St. John NB, (3-4000 from Long Island. many of the early Long Island settlers found in its cemeteries), the Annapolis valley around Halifax, and Upper Canada Village on the St. Lawrence River. Upper Canada was the site of the Battle of Chrysler Field (War of 1812) which I visited, it's piled up remains (lookout seaway coming through!) decorated with flowers, visited by Queen Elizabeth during the Jubilee, the St. Lawrence Seaway she opened with President Eisenhower. Strange, a whole battlefield carried away and piled up into a memorial hill.

A strange coincidence, the name and the outbuilding, or "necessary", leading to the plumbing design of Thomas Crapper?

George Myers
[log in to unmask]
2004-09-07

ATOM RSS1 RSS2