HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2013 12:02:48 -0500
Does anyone remember an article concerning white clay tobacco pipes stems
and  DNA (Not the one by Kelly Dixon 2006)?

We are working with a small late 17th or early 18th century burial plot in
Delaware and  two of the skeletons exhibit pipe grooves in their teeth.
Unfortunately there are three early sites within 200 yards of the burial
plot and all three have pipe stems.  We are having the skeletal materials
analyzed and they have suggested we look at some of the stems for DNA.  This
triggered my memory about someone else conducting this type of research in
the Mid-Atlantic region or at least I thought..maybe in CNEHA or SHA.or
maybe I'm just getting old and forgetful!

Thanks for your help,

Bill Liebeknecht, MA, RPA

Hunter Research, Inc.