HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Andrea Marroquin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 13:58:35 -0400
I tend to use Jim Rock and David Gillio et al. as a reference for
manganese inclusion in glass, 1880 to about 1915.  I can't tell you off
the top of my head, though, which source provided which date, or if
they both designated the start and end dates.  I don't have the papers
at my fingertips at the moment.

Gillio, David et al.
        n.d.    Glass Bottles.  In Some Common Artifacts Found at Historical
Sites.  Illustrated by Joanna Wilson            and Gigi Bayliss.  A Cultural
Resource Report: 13-19.

Rock, Jim
        1981.  Glass Bottles: Basic Identification.  Manuscript on file,
Klamath National Forest, Region Five.

Also I have a paper in front of me that clearly provides both dates
1880-circa 1915:

Hurst, Gwen J.
        1986.  U.S. Bottle Glass Chronology.  Revised 1996.  Honolulu, Hawaii:
B.P. Bishop Museum, 4.

  Hurst refers, in turn, to another source:

Munsey, Cecil
        1970.  The Illustrated Guide to Collecting Bottles.  New York, New
York: Hawthorne Books.

Obviously, many of these papers are widely circulated, but I imagine
that it could be difficult to obtain copies.  I really appreciate all
of the work being done to make reports more accessible electronically.
Hope this helps!

Andrea Marroquin