HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2006 04:33:41 -0400
Susan,

Since the cistern is deeper than four feet, you will need to work with
California OSHA for safety planning. They may require wearing a safety harness  and
having some sort of crane on hand to pluck you out if the sides cave-in.
They may also require Hazardous Material training, breathing apparatus, steel
toe shoes, and possibly shoring. These things can get complicated, but better
that than a fatal accident.

The U.S. Navy required me to retain a civil engineer to design a safe
excavation that went below four feet. We had shoring, sump pumps, and wore hard
hats, but CAL OSHA never inspected that site because it was on federal  property.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.