HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Alasdair <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2000 10:20:28 +0100
Susan Lawrence wrote:

> Bob, you're right, historical archaeology in the US has drawn considerable
> strength from its position within anthropology departments and from its
> intellectual basis there.  However, Alasdair's point is that neither that
> position nor that basis is universal.

That was very much my point (ta Susan).  To further clarify, I never
claimed that every perspective was equally valid (therefore rest assured
that I shan't be placing American Historical Archaeology under Biology
in the near future).  My argument was that there is not a single correct
perspective, but equally, there are certainly plenty of wrong ones - I
am not an absolute relativist, just a partial one.

Furthermore I fully agree with Bob Schuyler that the organisation of
academic disciplines is the product of complex social and historical
forces.  I never said it was "completely arbitrary", I said it was a
"social construct" - which is a completely different argument.

But ultimately, I think Bob Schuyler and myself will simply have to
agree to disagree.  As far as our viewpoints are concerned (and with
full apologies to Kipling), east is east and west is west, and never the
twain shall meet.

And with that, I shall respect the corpse of this deceased equine, say a
small prayer over the body, and then melt it down for glue.

After all, you can never have too much glue in finds analysis.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alasdair Brooks
Department of Archaeology
University of York
King's Manor
York
YO1 7EP
England, UK
phone: 01904 433931
"The Buffalo tastes the same on both sides of the border"
Sitting Bull