HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Pansing <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Nov 2007 06:58:43 -0500
Hello,

I am emailing for help in identifying a touch mark on an ax that was
purportedly found in the vicinity of Pickawillany in western Ohio. It is
a typical trade/belt ax common to the era with a tear drop eye, straight
front edge, expanding bit and slightly curved back edge. Pickawillany
was an English trading post / Miami Indian town that was active between
1748 and 1752 when it was destroyed by the French. The man who is trying
to present the piece to museum seems to think the mark was that of
Thomas Burney, the blacksmith that hid out during the attack and made it
back east. It is composed of an upper case "L" and a lower case "r" with
a couple of stars inset and perhaps some leaves above the "r" all in a
deeply set tapered rectangular cartouche applied on the side of the
blade just below the haft.  I can email a sketch of the touch mark to
anyone who is interested.

It looks nothing like anything I have ever seen that was attributed to
Thos. Burney. I am hoping someone could shed some light on it or at
least point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Linda

Linda Pansing
Assistant Curator of Archaeology
Collections, Historic Preservation & Statewide Outreach
The Ohio Historical Society
1982 Velma Ave.
Columbus, OH 43211
(614) 298-2061
www.ohiohistory.org <http://www.ohiohistory.org/archaeology>
/archaeology
__________________________

Find out about new archaeology happenings on the Ohio Historical
Society's Archaeology Blog at http://ohio-archaeology.blogspot.com
<http://ohio-archaeology.blogspot.com/>

JP Morgan Chase presents Once Upon A Dime: The World of Money, organized
by The Newark Museum, on exhibit at the Ohio Historical Center Museum in
Columbus from September 1, 2007 through April 1, 2008. Discover the
fascinating story of money from the barter system to digital dollars
through a series of family friendly hands-on activities. Visit
www.ohiohistory.org/dime for details.

 Are you a member? Membership is more valuable than ever, with four
featured exhibits scheduled during the next 12 months! Learn more today
at www.ohiohistory.org/about/mem.html.

OHIO HISTORICAL SOCIETY

Connect with the past. Create a better future.