HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Wilson Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 17:45:58 -0700
On Mon, 7 Feb 2000 18:28:50 -0600, Berry Spradley <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

Here is a location where you can download a free program that will
calculate and draw deed map from metes and bounds descriptions.  (wish
could have told you sooner, Doug)  :-)

http://www.stateless.com/savell/ftp.html

At 02:31 PM 2/6/00 -0600, you wrote:
>In my efforts to identify the location of my ancestor's land in Cumberland
>County, North Carolina I have purchased a deed mapping software program to
>plot parcel descriptions and identify adjacent property owners. My
>particular area of interest is Locks Creek (both Upper and Lower) which is
>on the east side of the Cape Fear River in Cumberland County, North
>Carolina.
>
>As a favor to those who can assist me with information about Locks Creek I
>will be happy to plot their ancestor's land, using this software program, if
>they will send me the metes and bounds property description of this land. I
>am only interested in the 1765-1800 time frame. With the metes and bounds
>description and any other property description found on the grant or deed
>please include the names of any adjacent property owners who may be
>mentioned (for instance-Davidson's line; John Maloy's corner; Gee's old line
>etc.).
>
>The plotted land will show the shape of the land parcel and will identify
>the corners and lines based on the metes and bounds descriptions provided.
>It will also show adjacent property owners when that information is
>furnished as part of the property description. The parcel outline will
>probably not show the exact location of the land on Locks Creek and its
>relationship to modern day Cumberland County, NC unless, by chance, that
>location can be deduced from the property description and the association of
>adjacent property owners and land parcels. However if enough people respond
>to this offer, the chances are good that I can show their ancestor's parcel
>of land in relationship to other adjacent property owners. This information
>may then lead me (or you) to discover the exact location of the land on
>Locks Creek. It will also be helpful to know if the land parcel is on Upper
>or Lower Locks Creek. And yes I am aware that many surveyors included parcel
>outlines as part of a deed or grant but often times it is not to scale or
>the acreage is misidentified.
>
>Once your land is plotted I will mail you a copy of the parcel outline so
>please provide your name and address as well as phone number if at all
>possible. Please don't expect a lot initially but as I assemble more Locks
>Creek property descriptions, from the 1765-1800 time frame, the location of
>most of these parcels will start coming into focus.
>
>Finally remember I am only interested in Locks Creek (Upper and Lower)
>property descriptions in Cumberland County, North Carolina from the
>1765-1800 time frame. I can not plot your ancestors land parcel without an
>accurate metes and bounds description. If you are having trouble reading the
>grant or deed mail me a copy and I will try to interpret it for you. My
>address and phone number follow this message. Thank to all who may accept
>this offer. Working together we can all learn more about our ancestors who
> [...]

                Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
                Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat
                drinking beer all day.

                Berry Spradley
                Spring, Texas
                281 353-0059

                             List problems?
                                  Check
                       your WELCOME message FIRST
          http://php.indiana.edu/~stephenl/problems.htm SECOND
                   then contact  [log in to unmask]

For additional information about the Colby's
please contact:
Adeline S. Stack
26 Coolidge Ave.
So. Portland, ME