HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 08:21:51 -0400
My information is a little dated on New Brunswick, Canada, from the "early days" of CRM. I was sometimes visiting a old house in Seal Cove, Grand Manan Island, NB that had a lot of structural problems (large heavy house on a thin foundation, twists in the wind cracking perhaps the foundation, or beach stones used as aggregate expel salt weakening mix, or what I think somebody comes by tosses in a large cobble, "weakest link" cracks the foundation later).

I enquired into the idea of a "cultural resource inventory" with the Premier of the Province who stated that anyone can do a cultural resources inventory, but by law, permission and permits must be obtained through the Province before a shovel can be put in the ground.

The house, next to a school continuously painted, the house not, was demanded by the government to be painted, was torn down. I read later there were funds to help preserve local history and its structures which this 12 room plaster and lath building was. It would have been quite a feat to jack up and replace its foundation requiring putting up a contractor to do.

George Myers
2004-09-15