HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Efstathios I. Pappas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 2006 12:34:32 -0400
  One question that I would ask regarding your railroad camp is whether it was associated with construction or maintenance activity. I personally have just finished field work on a Virginia and Truckee Railway section camp of Scales (maintenance camp) which is part of my ongoing research for my dissertation. Section camps are very different environments than construction camps, particularly in terms of ideological indoctrination, shifting ethnic identities over time, relative degrees of isolation, as well as the time depth associated with maintenance activity. For instance, Scales was inhabited for almost 40 years. In addition, the dominant ethnicity was Italian and families were present at the site. This presence of domesticity at section camps was very common throughout North America and complicates interpretations of ethnic identity, camp life, and gender dynamics associated with these sites. It is also important to note the degree of corporate control in the section camp environment as these camps were part of an engineered and didactic linear landscape. I have done a great deal of theoretical context building regarding these types of camps and if you would like any more information please feel free to ask.

 Stathi Pappas

 Efstathios I. Pappas, MS
 Doctoral Student
 Department of Anthropology/096