HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Timothy Scarlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2006 14:50:31 -0400
Hello All,
I'm collecting references for a project with a student this term.
We're looking for studies of earthenware production in Denmark and
Scandinavia  (18th and 19th century in particular).  Here are the
sources I already have from a search of the HISTARCH archive, from an
old post by Ned Heite:

Lynggaard, Finn

1972   Jydepotter og Ildgrave. J. Fr. Clausen, Kobenhavn.

This book, in Danish with English translation, describes the
manufacture of "black" pottery in Jutland during the preset century.

Steensberg, Axel

1940   Hand-made pottery in Jutland. Antiquity 14:148-153.

The plates with this article illustrate the manufacture techniques
and the pot forms current in Jutland before World War II. The
illustrated pots include several imitations of iron pots, quite
similar to at least one mid-seventeenth-century Virginia example.

Madsen, H. J.

1983 An Introduction to Danish medieval ceramics.  In Peter Davey and
Richard Hodges, eds. Ceramics and Trade.  University of Sheffield.

Other references I've already identified:

Jutland Pottery. Ceramics monthly. 39, no. 8, (October 1991): 32
(This may be about a modern art pottery...)

Any further references would be very helpful.  We are trying to
identify shape, form, and

Cheers,
Tim

Timothy Scarlett