HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 1995 23:18:00 EST
If I remember the original query, it had to do with 18th C. British military
installations, relatively high quantities of bottle glass (as compared to
civilian sites), and bottles/barrels as transport vessels for "spirited" drink.
Given the location of the query (West Florida), I presume the query also relates
to the British occupation of West Florida after the Seven Year's War (1763 app-
roximately).

If I remember my history correctly, the British navy of the time was in full
ascendency, truly masters of the seas.  Ergo, supplies of spirited drink were
plentiful, even to a "remote" outpost like Santa Rosa Pensacola.  Officers
during this period had a weakness for Portuguese and Madieran port and assort-
ed brandies, while grog rations for soldiers and sailors ranged from a cup to
a pint per day (Those WERE the Days!).  Both arrived in Pensacola by transport
ship, packed in their respective bottles and barrels.  I would guess that the
barrels were more "recycle-able" given the social context of the time (no glass
bottles broken and cemented on the top of the fort walls as now seen in S.
Florida) and less durable, in the archaeological sense of the word.  Ergo, lots
of bottles in lots of contexts.  There are some great books on soldiers/officer
s/sailors in the Seven Years War.  One I highly recommend is Fred Anderson's
_A People's Army_ .  It is a social history of Massachusett's volunteers in
the Northern Campaigns.  There are several introductory books by H.C.B.
Rogers on British soldiering in the 18th C.  He tells a good story, although
I've found some relatively minor omissions and what I consider mis-statements
in some of the books.  I would also check the War Office in London.  They have
a TON++++++++ of officer's diaries, journals, letters, orders, etc.  Most of
the records are indexed and the indices are available through UFlorida and
maybe through UWF, as well.

Archaeologically speaking, check some of Goggin's early work in and around St.
Augustine.  Many of the bottles you find in Pens. will have sisters in the St.
Augustine collections.  Also, look for material at Ft. Stanwick/Ft. Michili-
mackinac (pronounced -aw)/Ft. Ligonier/Ft. Niagara/Louisburg/and the list goes
on.  The _Machault_ has a well written-up collection of bottles, as do several
other shipwreck sites in England and New England.  Check _International Journal
of Nautical Archaeology_.  Before I go on forever, let me just say that all your
bottles arrived in Pensacola by _SHIP_.  To get them from whence they came, don'
t forget the trouble that creates and the avenues you have to work with.
Drop me a line if you need some more tips.  Brinnen ([log in to unmask] or
@pine.circa.ufl.edu)