HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Diane B Rice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Apr 1998 13:32:36 -0600
Actually Carl, that quote came from Larry McKee, Archaeologist from THE
HERMITAGE, Andrew Jackson's home in Tennessee. I am thinking about the guys
gambling style of playing marbles...it seems to me that the idea of playing
marbles is to win more. Wouldn't dice or cards be a more likely candidate
for gambling? No idea about the language...there is a whole linguistical
terminology for marble-playing. If you lost your favorite...maybe there
would be cussing. In Clay County, TN they have mostly men over 50 years of
age playing outdoors on lit marble courts. I think it can be taken very
seriously by anyone at any age thus "playing for keeps" vs. "playing for
fairs" where you get your marbles back afterwards.            Diane Rice