HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"McAlexander, William" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 07:59:33 -0500
Ian, I just finished my M.A. last August.  My undergraduate degree was in
anthropology/history with an emphasis on archeology.  I did not go to
graduate school until several years later.  Which gave me plenty of time to
work in archeology and not only apply, but the opportunity to study
archeological methods.  My graduate degree is in Public History with my
thesis on historical archeology.  Although archeology is not technically a
part of the degree program at the University of Arkansas (Little Rock), the
program chair alowed me to do my thesis on archeology as long as there was
an historical aspect to it.  Another part of the program requirements was an
internship.  They also alowed me to do an internship in historical
archeology under "Skip" Abernathy in Russelville, Ar.  My point is that,
although undergraduate programs can introduce a student to historical
methods, it is in the graduate program that research methods (both
historical and archeological) are stressed.  What is needed in training
future historical archeologists are more flexible programs that will allow a
student to experiance both.  In undergrade programs advisors should stress
to to students that taking a few years off between degrees to work in the
field will impart knowledge that can't be learned in school or place
stronger emphasis on intern programs.  The angle of approach for both
research methods are different, but can be combined into a beneficial
learning experiance for the student if the program and the instructors are
flexible enough to let each individual explore areas of intrest within the
universities graduate guidelines.  I'm not sure if this opinion will help,
but there it is.

William McAlexander
AHTD
Little Rock, Arkansas