HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"William D. Updike" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 2004 15:39:06 -0400
For all that are interested in the topic of internet publishing, a workshop
will be held at the 2005 SHA meeting in York on this very topic.  Here is a
description of the workshop:

Electronic publication and our digital inheritance: making the most of the
medium for a last contribution

Course leaders:

Dr William Kilbride, Assistant Director, Archaeology Data Service
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk <http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/>

Judith Winters, Editor, Internet Archaeology http://intarch.ac.uk
<http://intarch.ac.uk/>

This workshop will review a decade of experience in using the Internet to
disseminate and publish archaeological research. Based on the work of two
York-based archaeological initiatives that exploit web technologies,
participants will have the opportunity to explore the challenges and
opportunities of electronic publishing. Issues such as longevity, digital
curation and professionalism on the web will be examined. While traditional
values associated with paper publication, such as peer review, are vital to
the success of electronic publications, novel issues of resource discovery
and data standards are also becoming critical. A mix of presentations and
demonstrations will give participants the opportunity for discussion
throughout, thus laying foundations for continued developments in the
electronic publication of historical archaeology.

Look for further information in the Conference Registration Packet.

Will

William D. Updike, RPA
Principal Investigator
Cultural Resource Analysts, Inc.