HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 18 May 2000 16:54:11 -0400
Currently I am investigating the site of French Azilum, a late 18th-
/early 19th-century colony of refugee French aristocrats.  I am looking
for sources, primary or secondary, historical or archaeological that
relate architectural hardware such as H and HL hinges to house size and
quality and hence potentially to class or staus.  Archaeological sources
that I have seen are mostly descriptive and pay little or no attention to
issues of production (technological sophistication) or supply side issues
that may indicate that certain architectural details are more likely "high
status" indicators that other more mundane architectural hardware (nails,
window glass, etc.).

Sincerely,

Rob Mann
Anthropology Department (for better or worse)
SUNY Binghamton
Binghamton, New York
e-mail: [log in to unmask]