HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
basedowm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 15:01:35 -0400
As someone who works in both old world and new world archaeology, the standard
practice in a situation where the ancient measurement system is known and
arguably significant (i.e., Mesopotamia, Egypt) is not to use the ancient unit
itself but to convert the metrically-recorded data when the data itself is
complete enough to make the conversion meaningful.

So, you've got your "ancient" inches and feet for English ceramics, building
proportions, etc. and can point out in text, catalogue or wherever when the
English measurement is significant. Saying, for example, that an incomplete
stretch of wall is 12.4 ft. long is no more signficant that its metric
equivalent because the feature is incomplete.  The rim diameters of a tea set
might be more meaningful because they can be completed via reconstruction and
because the context (ceramics of a certain period) can be viewed as following
a measurement standard. Proportions of a complete building would also be in
this category.

We are metric all the way, being scientists, therefore, down to the particular
analysis stage mentioned above - and despite the extra expense of those 50m
tapes, metric scales and metric-gridded items as opposed to the feet and
inches variety.

Maureen Basedow
Visiting Assistant Professor of Archaeology
UNC-Wilmington