HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Joe Dent <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2006 10:57:12 -0400
It's certainly a cylinder head (gasoline fueled), and I'll just add farm and industrial tractor to list.  It is also what is known as a flathead, in that intake and exhaust valve mechanism with cam shaft and often pushrods now arrayed above cylinder head was in this motor within cylinder block.  That fact probably dates it back before 1940s. But, of course, somewhere they are probably still turning out flathead motors.  The size of the spark plug holes might be some indication of age.  The fact that there also does not appear to be an allowance for a thermostat on the water intake/outake might suggest some antiquity.

joe dent
american university