HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David_Hayes_STX <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2006 10:29:20 -0400
Message text written by HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

July 17, 2006

Hello Histarchers,

I am going to be going into a working cistern that was built in 1900.  It
has a flat floor.  Access is wide enough at the top for careful entry.
Currently there is about 3 feet of water in it that we are pumping out.  I
will be wearing a hardhat, rubber gloves and rubber boots.  We plan to
scoop out any muck and examine the interior while in there.

Has anyone else done this?
Any safety suggestions for me?
Anything else I should look for?

Thanks,

S. Walter
<

Hello

Around here we have businesses that clean cisterns, since we still use them
for household water.

Safety is paramount.
I would not worry about bugs IF THE WATER IS STILL BEING used for human
drinking or showers, otherwise it is by definition suspect. Often with a
sump pump you can get the smalll stuff  with the water. A lot of this is
organics like pollen.

Lighting in the cistern. No incandent bulbs heat. All electrical equipment
on site by protected by  working GFI breakers.

Short times in cistern for the work crew: heat & CO2.  You can rent fans
with ducts to put air in.

At least as many people outside as inside.

Look at the interior sealant to see repairs.

David Hayes RPA
St. Croix, Virgin Islands