HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Lauren J. Cook" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 1996 12:39:37 EST
"No, No, No! That's NOT how radio works."  --Firesign Theatre

        *       *       *       *       *       *

Enough already!  When you hit "reply" your message goes out on HISTARCH, not to
the guy on AOL who sent the message to the list.  He did not e-mail you.  He has
NO idea who you are.  You are not on his list.  Instead, the rest of the
HISTARCH list gets your message.  Approximately 15 people have now wasted my
time with misdirected "remove" messages, which are meaningless in any event. Let
the list managers deal with it.

In the future, if you are confronted with SPAM, look to see whether it came over
a list.  If so, DO NOT HIT REPLY!!!!!  Instead, save the sender's name to your
address book, or directory, or whatever, create a new e-mail and direct it to
that address.  If the SPAM comes directly from an account, you can hit reply.
Anything else wastes all of our time, including your own.  I know that this
takes more time than just hitting "reply," so to make it interesting, you might
want to spam the spammers.  I like to forward them a clever spoof called "LOSE
MONEY FAST" which I will forward to anyone on request.