HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Skiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2013 10:56:54 -0600
Although Tom may be right in surmising the bulbous ended item as a
Mercurochrome (or other topical liquid) applicator, it appears a tad
long for the ones I remember, as well as appearing to be a hollow tube
with a closed end, instead of being a solid rod (as I remember the
Mercurochrome applicators being). Besides, the active ingredient of
Mercurochrome (Merbromine) wasn't discovered as an antiseptic until
after WWI, and the Mercurochrome wasn't available commercially until
some time afterward. All of which is saying that while yours' is not an
applicator for Mercurochrome (which we kids referred to as "monkey
blood"), doesn't mean that it couldn't have been an applicator for some
other solution.

All things considered, together, your items certainly do have a
"medical" or "apothecary" feel to them. The large cylinder appears to be
an early type of syringe, and none of the other items would have been
out-of-place in a physician's bag, drugstore, or apothecary shop (lab)
of the 1870s. These are also the types of glassware items I have seen in
collections from places (I hesitate to use the word "lab" even though
actually appropriate, since it is likely to convey a highly erroneous
modern image) where various plant extracts (viz: ingredients for the
ubiquitous patent medicines of the age, "essential" oils, perfumes,
etc.) were produced.

Are any of your pharmaceutical bottles embossed with a label? Have you
done the background archival work on the property that might point-to or
suggest its use for this purpose? Were any purveyors of snake-oil based
with the address of the township your site is located within?

Regards,
Bob Skiles